Friday

United 93

I watched the dramatization of the events on Flight 93 on A&E last night. It was a very moving account of the tragedy.

I'm not sure if the conversations on cell phones between the passengers and their families on the ground were based on the actual accounts, but one passenger in the dramatization called her mother and said, "Hi Mom, it's me, I'm calling to say goodbye."

The movie didn't show the actual crash, but it did show the plane doing a rollover and diving towards the ground, then a later shot showed smoke rising over the trees. When the firefighters were on the scene there was a burnt, smoldering crater and they were searching for the plane . . . searching for a large, 40-passenger, commercial jet.

I know they likely took many liberties in creating this movie and likely added some extra sensationalism for TV, but I'm sure the actual events that day were likely just as wild and unbelievable.

I still remember the day. I was at work when rumors starting floating around. Many of the news sites were flooded with people searching for information about the events unfolding in the world. Then I heard a rumor that the Pentagon was hit and it was just unbelievable.

It's hard to believe how much the events of that day have changed the world and how the effects of it are still going on today with the war in Iraq.

No comments: