Monday

Why is the left so unlucky?

Apparently I'm in good company. My left middle finger has been cut down to size, so whenever I flip you the bird with my left hand it's in metric (metric unit measurements are shorter than imperial units).

However, there are many famous people who are short a digit or two. I guess because the majority of people are right-handed if they happen to be chopping vegetables or playing with a hand gun the weapon of choice will most likely be in their right hand hence making their left hand vulnerable to the chopping block or stray bullet. Hence the majority of missing digits are from the left hand.

I don't have any good story about cleaning a pistol or catching a grenade though. Mine is an unfortunate meeting between my hand and the rapidly spinning wheel of an exercise bike. I was one or two at the time and my brother was riding the bike.

It hasn't held me back, except for shattering any dreams of playing the guitar like Jimmy Hendrix. I do have some interesting party tricks and things I can do to fascinate the kids though.

No comments: