Thursday

Yahoo! Geocities Sucks!

I know the title is rather negative being that this is my first post. I don't intend the whole tone of my blog to be negative, it's just this particular issue has been burning at me for awhile now and I need to vent and get it out there.

Just some background on my issue. I am a Rogers high speed customer and Rogers offers free websites to their accounts. I had an idea for a website to provide the weekly movie times for London Ontario in one central location. Good idea I thought and not a widely offered service.

So, long story short I signed up for numerous e-mails from the theatres, created my website and faithfully updated my site every week with the movies and times from the e-mails. A couple months after being up, Yahoo deletes my site stating it violates their terms of service, specifically they quoted the below term:

Yahoo Geocities Terms of Service
5. You agree to not use the Service to:
(o) use your home page (or directory) as storage for remote loading or as a door or signpost to another home page, whether inside or beyond Yahoo GeoCities;

So, let me understand this, Yahoo will give me free space for a website on the Internet, but I can't point to other pages. Hmmm . . .

Let's step back a moment here. If we look up Internet on wikipedia some key words are network, interconnected, interlinked . . .

So Yahoo Geocities isn't giving me a webpage, there giving me a door that opens up to a brick wall. Yeah, thanks. Thanks for nothing.

Hopefully now that my rant is out there it will get picked up and maybe open up Yahoo's eyes. You'd think that a big Internet player like Yahoo would have a better understanding of the place where they make their money.

No comments: