Wednesday

Can't we all just get along

I've now spent over five hours working on my grandpa's computer trying to get his e-mail to work.

He uses Sympatico and has Norton Internet Security 2005. Sympatico went to a more secure e-mail using SSL; however, Norton can't scan SSL e-mail and gives an error. So, incoming e-mail works fine, but outgoing e-mail won't send.

I spent an hour on the phone with Sympatico who ends up saying it's a Norton error. I then spend another hour using online help chatting with someone at Symantec who tells me to reinstall Norton. Another two hours uninstalling and reinstalling Norton and the error is still there.

The online help forum for Norton says to uncheck e-mail scanning in Norton Antivirus, but there's an error in NAV that even though you uncheck it, it still scans e-mail.

There's a rather lengthy forum (http://forum.networktechs.com/showthread.php?t=77514) that goes back to 2004 on this without any real solution other than use a different ISP or don't use Norton. (I spent another hour going through the posts there, so actually I'm up to over 6 hours working on this; counting all the time I spent just trying to figure it out before trying to enlist other help.)

People can't get along in the Middle East, so I guess it's too much to ask to expect Microsoft, Bell and Symantec to play nice together.

It puts it in perspective though when there are people dodging bombs in Lebanon and just trying to survive and my biggest problem is trying to send a secure e-mail. Touching, related post-Moon musings.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I have an Outlook problem too, but it's a bit different.

My Outlook will work fine for small periods of time, and then suddenly when it performs it's next scheduled "Send/Recieve" will say, "Error, unable to connect to the incoming mail server". The only solution that works is to re-boot.

Then, Outlook will work fine for maybe a half hour, a full hour if I'm lucky and then will either crap out on it's own or give me an error that it can't connect to the outgoing server while I'm trying to send an e-mail.

I contacted Shaw, but they won't help because they only support Outlook Express, not Outlook (even though to me that's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard, because wouldn't they only differ in user features, not the server platform??) and I've played around with settings in my firewall. anti-virus and nothing helps.

Jason said...

That is really stupid. So, download Outlook Express and see if you still get the problem and then call them when it happens.

Is it happenning because it's disconnecting and won't automatically reconnect? Can you still surf the Internet when the e-mail stops?